With about 3 hours to spare, I completed the 2012 Rapha Festive 500 challenge in the SW suburbs of Minneapolis, MN. Below are some of the photo/video/fact highlights of this year's cold and difficult challenge:
|My final GPS track, atop frozen Round Lake. I didn't quite get the typeface correct.|
Here is a video summary of video & still photo highlights:
- Temperature range of 0-23F (-18 to -5C), much colder with windchills
- 2 days had fresh snow at departure, with additional snowfall while riding
- Heavy ice on road shoulders for all but 2-3 of 12 rides.
- 310 miles (500km) solo
- 195 miles (315km) on Studded tires (Schwalbe Marathon Winter 35c) (Salsa Casseroll)
- 60 miles (97km) on 28c tires (Salsa Casseroll)
- 55 miles (88km) on the Salsa Mukluk Fatbike, including frozen lake riding
- Schmidt hub generator pushing Supernova front/rear lights & accessory charger
- 12 total rides to complete the challenge!
Thank you to Rapha, Strava, and my family and friends in the cycling community for the challenge and the support!